Geang Tai Pla is a chili curry of southern Thai cuisine. Its name is derived from Tai Pla, a salty sauce made from fermented fish entrails which gives the curry a strong smell and flavor. The Tai Pla is used to make this soup using a heavy dose of local spices and large chunks of dried fish meat.
The dish contains vitamin A, protein and dietary fiber. Having the dish prevents constipation and relives flatulence.
Tai Pla ingredients: 1 cup fermented fish entrails, 3 crushed lemon grass, 4-5 karri lime leaves, 10 sliced galangal and 2 tbsp. black pepper. Boil everything into melt and filter out the waste, then set aside.
Chili paste ingredients: 15 grams garlic cloves, 5 grams shallots, 1 tbsp. black pepper, 15 dried chilies, 15 grams bird eye chilies and 2 inch long galangal. Put all of ingredients in a mortar and keep pounding until everything is well-blended.
- 1 cup tai pla, boiled fermented fish entrails
- 1 cup chunks of dried fish meat
- 1 cup bamboo shoots, cut into small-size pieces
- 80 grams eggplants
- ½ pea eggplants
- ½ cup long beans, cut into one-inch pieces
- 80 grams pumpkin, cut into one-inch pieces
- 3 cups water
- 5 karri lime leaves, shredded